It was her manipulations of democracy that started its downward descent, a process that has expanded exponentially and diversified in every conceivable direction with the passage of decades.Part-1.
Respected family members of this great holy Nation.
Sub : Indira mistakes cost India dearly
Ref : The most pernicious legacy left behind by Indira Gandhi is the lumpenisation and criminalisation of politics.
1. The debits she left behind started the destructive process in our polity.
2. It was her manipulations of democracy that started its downward descent, a process that has expanded exponentially and diversified in every conceivable direction with the passage of decades.
3. Thanks to the seeds sowed by her, we can, today, boast of being one of the most degraded and rogue democracies of the world.
4. She won her elections to Parliament by gross violation of prevailing election laws.
5. Instead of respecting law, the Constitution and judicial decision, she acquired the persona of a dictator, and decided that her salvation lay in completely subverting Indian democracy, and attacking the Constitution of India.
6. She declared Emergency, imprisoned all her political rivals and critics, suspended human rights and made justice inaccessible to victims.
7. Even when nine High Courts ruled that despite Emergency, courts could protect human rights, she got from the Supreme Court the notorious ADM Jabalpur judgement, making the judiciary completely impotent as defender of citizen's rights.
8. She destroyed the Republic and all the self-respect of Indian democracy in the comity of nations. She ultimately held elections not because the spirit of democracy had revived in her, but because the sycophants surrounding her convinced her that she had won a lasting place in the heart of all the people of India who had forgiven her sins, however grave, and would re-elect her as PM.
9. The people proved them wrong. After losing political power she refused to apologise and resorted to corruption and bribery to bring down the Janata government.
10. It is true that she found wiling collaborators in the Janata Party, but it does not bring any credit to her for political integrity.
Thank you for reading
To be continued....